Heavy blow to saplings of mango and sagwan at Dalma wildlife sanctuary
The absence of showers over the last two weeks has dealt a heavy blow to saplings of mango and sagwan at Dalma wildlife sanctuary.
Bamboo is the favourite food of jumbos. Making adequate quantity of food available to the elephants would help in reducing man-animal conflict.
It would keep the elephants consigned to the forest and stop them from intruding into human settlements in search of food
Indian Navy holds passage exercise
- Indian Navy holds passage exercise with ‘USS Nimitz’ carrier group near the Andaman and Nicobar (A&N) islands as it is transiting the Indian Ocean.
- USS Nimitz, the U.S. Navy’s largest aircraft carrier, is returning from the South China Sea through the Malacca Straits, where it recently conducted integrated operations along with the USS Ronald Reagan carrier strike group
United Arab Emirates launches mission to Mars
- The United Arab Emirates launched its first mission to Mars ,Hope probe from Japan’s Tanegashima Space Center .
- The Emirates Mars Mission has cost $200 million and aims to provide a complete picture of the Martian atmosphere for the first time, studying daily and seasonal changes.
Phase-1 testing of indigenous COVID-19 vaccine
- All India Institute of Medical Sciences (AIIMS) will start screening volunteers for phase-1 testing of the indigenous COVID-19 vaccine, Covaxin, , on healthy persons aged 18-55, without co-morbidities.
- Phase-1 human trials also began at the Nizam’s Institute of Medical Sciences (NIMS) in Hyderabad, with two healthy volunteers administered the first dose of Covaxin.
Consumer Protection Act, 2019 comes into force from 20th July 2020
- Act includes establishment of the Central Consumer Protection Authority (CCPA) and rules for prevention of unfair trade practice by e-commerce platforms
- Consumer Protection Act 2019 will be a significant tool in protecting consumer rights; provides for simplifying the consumer dispute adjudication process and introduces concept of product liability
- Act includes establishment of the Central Consumer Protection Authority (CCPA) to promote, protect and enforce the rights of consumers. The CCPA will be empowered to conduct investigations into violations of consumer rights and institute complaints / prosecution, order recall of unsafe goods and services, order discontinuance of unfair trade practices and misleading advertisements, impose penalties on manufacturers/endorsers/publishers of misleading advertisements.
- under this act every e-commerce entity is required to provide information relating to return, refund, exchange, warranty and guarantee, delivery and shipment, modes of payment, grievance redressal mechanism, payment methods, security of payment methods, charge-back options, etc. including country of origin which are necessary for enabling the consumer to make an informed decision at the pre-purchase stage on its platform.
MoD signs contract with BEML for procurement of 1,512 Mine Plough for T-90 tanks
- With an aim to boost ‘Make in India’ initiative of the Government Acquisition Wing of Ministry of Defence (MoD), has signed a Contract with Bharat Earth Movers Limited (BEML) for procurement of 1,512 Mine Plough (MP) for Tank T-90 S/SK at an approximate cost of Rs 557 crore. The contract has Buy and Make (Indian) categorisation with a minimum of 50 per cent indigenous content in make portion of the contract.
- These mine ploughs will be fitted on T-90 Tanks of Indian Armoured Corps which will facilitate individual mobility to Tanks while negotiating mine field. Mobility of Tank Fleet will enhance manifold, which in turn would extend the reach of Armoured Formation deep into enemy territory without becoming mine causality.
Zoram Mega Food Park in Mizoram
- Zoram Mega Food Park to provide employment to 5000 persons and to benefit about 25000 farmers
- First MFP of Mizoram to leverage additional investment of about Rs. 250 crores
- 30 food processing units in the park and would eventually lead to a turnover of about Rs. 450-500 Crores annually.
- This is the first Mega Food Park operationalized in the State of Mizoram.
Manodarpan initiative of HRD Ministry
- The ‘Manodarpan ’ initiative has been included in the Atmanirbhar Bharat Abhiyan, as a part of strengthening human capital and increasing productivity and efficient reform and initiatives for the education sector.
- ‘MANODARPAN’ covering a wide range of activities to provide Psychosocial Support to students for their Mental Health & Well-being during the COVID outbreak and beyond.
- No postal ballot in Bihar
- No postal ballot as over 70 lakh electors in 65-plus age group in Bihar
- Election Commission decided that it would not be possible to arrange the postal ballot facility for about 72 lakh electors, about 10% of the total 7.19 crore electors in the State.