Alternative Dispute Resolution (ADR) provides an alternative approach to traditional process of dispute resolution through litigation. It provides accessible, useful, informal, voluntary, speedy and inexpensive justice to contesting parties. ADR mechanisms in India inter-alia include arbitration, mediation/ conciliation, Lok Adalats and Consumer Dispute Redressal system.
Significance of ADR:
- Mediation can play a very useful role in amicable resolution of matrimonial and family matters.
- Speedier and Inexpensive justice.
- Justice become more accessible.
- ADR plays an important role in doing away with delays and congestions in court proceedings.
- The proceedings in ADR are informal and do not involve the formalities and complexities as involved in a Court of law like hiring a lawyer.