Citizen amendment act made some amendment in the process of acquiring citizenship. The 2019 act seeks to make illegal migrants who are Hindus, Sikhs, Buddhists, Jains, Parsis and Christians from Afghanistan, Bangladesh and Pakistan, eligible for citizenship. The Act further reduces the period of naturalisation ( one of the mode of acquiring citizenship) for such group of persons from 11 years to five years.
The Bill is shrouded with controversy because of the following things:
- The ground of discrimination is religion. This is not in tune with the ethos of our constitution.
- Various left out categories like: Tamils of Sri Lanka, Ahmaddiyas ( persecuted ) of Pakistan, Rohingyas of Mayanmar. As the Persecution of minority is the real reason behind the introduction of act.
- Many Assamese are protesting because they do not want any immigrants in Assam, whether Muslim or non-Muslim and object to citizenship being given to any settler.
- What will happen to non -citizens e. Muslims who have no roots left. in the parent country. The status of them will become the humanitarian issue.
- Whether the act will hold the test against the SC scrutiny, the time will tell as art 14, 21 are available to the non- citizens also. The same judgement was given in the case of chakmas also.
Note:- The views are as mentioned by the faculty and not of PSCNOTES
JPSC Notes brings Prelims and Mains programs for JPSC Prelims and JPSC Mains Exam preparation. Various Programs initiated by JPSC Notes are as follows:-
- JPSC Mains Tests and Notes Program
- JPSC Prelims Exam 2020- Test Series and Notes Program
- JPSC Prelims and Mains Tests Series and Notes Program
- JPSC Detailed Complete Prelims Notes