Above articles were added by the 103rd constitutional amendment act. The aim of the amendment is to provide reservation upto 10% to economic weaker section. It is above the existing quota of reservation.
Art 15(6) – Provided for the reservation in education Institute.
Art 16(6)- Provided for reservation in employment to government jobs.
They are certainly a part of positive discrimination :
- Inability of Economic weaker classes to compete with financial well off.
- The amendment is in line with article 46 of the constitution.
- The act will try to bridge the rural-urban divide. As accessibility to quality education is higher in urban areas.
Concerns with EWS reservation:
- Criteria for identification of weaker section is challenging task.
- Chances of reservation benefits being cornered off by the well to do section among the reserved class. As it can be seen in SC and ST reservation.
- Against the merit system and the 50% celing limit propounded in Indira sahney case.