- Jharkhand emerges as new destination for BPO, IT companies
- Incentives offered by the government under its BPO Policy 2016 and Software Technology Park of India (STPI) are attracting many BPOs to cities like Ranchi, Jamshedpurand Bokaro. Companies like Aegis, Ison, Tata Business Support Service and BPO Convergence are functional.
- Sources said the BPOs will generate employment for about 7,500 people. In the next two years BPO and IT sector in Jharkhand will generate more than 40,000 jobs. Ranchi has about 40 operational IT and BPO companies. However, smaller towns like Bokaro, Dhanbad and Jamshedpur are also drawing investors in the IT sector.
- World Asthma Day 2018: 1 May
- World Asthma Day is an annual event organized by the Global Initiative for Asthma (GINA) to improve asthma awareness and care around the world.
- World Asthma Day takes place on the first Tuesday of May. First World Asthma Day was held in 1998.
- The theme for the year 2018 is “Never too early, never too late. It’s always the right time to address airways disease”.
- International Labour Day: May 1
- The International Labour Day, also known as International Worker’s Day or May Day is observed every year on May 1.
- The day aims to promote and encourage the international labour associations, marks the victory of workers’ movement for eight hours of work and pay tribute to workers sacrifices in achieving economic and social rights all over the world.
- The theme of International Labour Day 2018 is “Uniting Workers for Social and Economic Advancement”.
- 9th India-Japan Energy Dialogue held in New Delhi
- The 9thIndia Japan Energy Dialogue was held in New Delhi. Minister of State(IC) for Power and New &Renewable Energy, Shri R.K Singh, and Minister of Economy, Trade and Industry (METI) Mr. Hiroshige Sekosigned a Joint Statement at the conclusion of the meeting.
- Both Japan and India, as the third and the seventh largest economies respectively, recognized that having access to reliable, clean and economical energy is critical for their economic growth and in achieving this, both Ministers agreed on further strengthening of bilateral energy cooperation for energy development of both countries, while also contributing to worldwide energy security, energy access and climate change issues.
- Pravasi Bharatiya Divas 2019 to be held in Varanasi
- The 15th Pravasi Bharatiya Divas will be held in the holy city of Varanasi in January 2019.
- The event would be inaugurated by Prime Minister Narendra Modi and his Mauritian counterpart Pravind Jugnauth.
- It would be held in Varanasi from January 21 to 23.
· Union Government Launches Pilot Scheme For Procurement of Aggregate Power of 2500 MW
- The Indian governmentlaunched a Pilot Scheme for procurement of aggregate power of 2500 MW on a competitive basis for three years under medium term from commissioned power plants without power purchase agreements.
- The main purpose of the scheme is to revive commissioned power plants which are unable to sell electricity in the absence of valid power purchase agreements.
- These plants can bid for power supply under the scheme.
· ACI Projects India as 2nd Fastest Growing Country For Air Passenger Traffic
- India projected to be the second fastest growing country in the world for air passenger traffic.
- As per the Airports Council International (ACI), by 2022 passenger traffic in emerging economies like India will surpass advanced economies.
- The ACI, a global trade body representing airports across the globe, has put Vietnam at the top position with an 8.5% growth rate, followed by India at 7.5% and Iran at 7.3%.
- China placed at the 8th position with 5.9 percent growth rate.
- It placed the Indira Gandhi International Airport in New Delhi among the top twenty busiest airports in the world.
· Phd mandatory to become univ teachers from 2021
- From 2021, a PHD will be must for teaching at university level for assistant professors which is the entry level in universities. They will also have to devote two hours for mentoring of students for community development/extra-curricular activities and teachers will also undergo a mandatory one month long induction programme before joining the universities and colleges.
- According to a senior Human Resource Development (HRD) official, these changes have been made to enhance the quality of education in the higher education sector following which the University Grants Commission (UGC) is coming out with a set of Minimum Qualifications for the teachers soon.
- So far at the entry level, the minimum eligibility requirement for an assistant professor is National Eligibility Test (NET) and a Masters degree.
- Officials said the National Eligibility Test (NET) or an accredited test (state level eligibility Test) or other similar exams will remain the other minimum eligibility for appointment of assistant professors and equivalent. However, those who have been exempted as they had obtained PHD before 2009 will not be required to clear NET.
· Govt to table DNA Profiling Bill in Monsoon session
- The government on Tuesday informed the Supreme Court that it will introduce a DNA profiling Bill in the Monsoon Session of the Parliament.
- The court said that with the competent authority undertaking to bring about a legislation there was no need for a mandamus from the Supreme Court in this issue.
- Last year, the Law Commission of India, in its 271st report, prepared the draft Bill named The DNA Based Technology (Use and Regulation) Bill, 2017 after examining various judicial pronouncements and constitutional provisions.
- The Commission recorded that DNA profiling was indeed used for disaster victim identification, investigation of crimes, identification of missing persons and human remains and for medical research purposes.
- The Commission said the procedure for DNA profiling, if given statutory recognition, should be done legitimately as per constitutional provisions.
- Primarily, the Bill provides for the setting up of a statutory DNA Profiling Board to spell out procedures and standards to establish DNA laboratories and grant of accreditation to these labs.
- JPSC Mains Tests and Notes Program
- JPSC Prelims Exam 2020- Test Series and Notes Program
- JPSC Prelims and Mains Tests Series and Notes Program
- JPSC Detailed Complete Prelims Notes