India re-elected as observer to Arctic Council
- India has been re-elected as an observer to intergovernmental forum Arctic Council
- The Arctic Council promotes cooperation, coordination and interaction among Arctic states, the region’s indigenous communities and other inhabitants on common issues, particularly on sustainable development and environmental protection.
- Canada, Denmark, Finland, Iceland, Norway, Russia, Sweden and the United States are members of the Arctic Council.
Fifth United Nations Global Road Safety Week- 6-12 May 2019
- This Week will focus on leadership for road safety. It is widely acknowledged that stronger leadership for road safety is needed to achieve the Global Goals. Therefore it launches action through the ongoing campaign: Save Lives – #SpeakUp.
- The #SpeakUp campaign provides an opportunity for civil society to generate demands for strong leadership for road safety, especially around concrete, evidence-based interventions which will save lives. It will also inspire leaders to take action by showcasing strong leadership for road safety within governments, international agencies, NGOs, foundations, schools and universities and private companies.
World Thalassemia Day 2019 :8 May
- The theme for 2019 was “Universal access to quality thalassaemia healthcare services: Building bridges with and for patient”.
- Thalassaemia (a genetic disease), its prevention and measures to avoid its transmission among people throughout the world.
- It is observed in honour of all patients suffering and fighting from thalassaemia and also all scientists working hard to provide improved quality of life to people suffering with it.
SC Collegium recommends Justices Gavai, Surya Kant for elevation as apex court judges
- The Supreme Court Collegium has recommended the names of Justices B R Gavai and Surya Kant to the Centre for their elevation as apex court judges.
- Justice Gavai is presently a judge of the Bombay High Court and Justice Kant is the incumbent Chief Justice of the Himachal Pradesh High Court.
Endangered Himalayan yew, high value medicinal plant of Himalaya, on the brink of extinction
- Yew is an endangered native high value medicinal plant of the Himalayan region.
- The several medicinal properties of the bark and leaves of this species have increased its risk of extinction due to pressures for utilization.
- The species does not regenerate from seed which is another risk factor.
- the yew is primarily valued for the medicinal properties of taxol.
Divorce by mutual consent: HC waives cooling-off period
- The Delhi High Court has waived the cooling-off period for divorce by mutual consent of a woman, from her estranged husband, after she expressed her intention to enter into another marriage with a non-resident Indian who was in India for limited number of days.
- Section 13B of the Hindu Marriage Act, 1955 mandates that in case of divorce by mutual consent, there has to be a composite period of 18 months of separation — one year provided in Section 13B (1) and six months in Section 13B (2).