- Guv Advocates Addiction-Free Jharkhand
- Amid the government lending no ears to the voices of liquor ban from one part of the State to the other at intervals, Governor Droupadi Murmu has suggested the government to move ahead on addiction substance free society and to not merely run after enhanced revenues. In a programme organised in Central Institute of Psychiatry (CIP) on the occasion of World Mental Health Day(WMHD), Murmu assured the institute of receiving tag of a centre of excellence from the Government of India soon.
- As the CIP celebrated 25th year of WMHD, the Governor also inaugurated website of CIP along with customized postal stamps by Jharkhand Circle of the India Post dedicated on CIP in presence of Chief Post Master General of the circle Shashi Shalini Kujoor, Postal Services Director Parimal Sinha and many officials of postal department. Kujoor said that CIP was the only organisation to have its customized stamps released in Eastern part of the country among only 12 such initiatives across India so far.
· International Day of the Girl Child is observed on 11 October
- 11th October marked is marked as the International Day of the Girl Child.
- The day theme is The Power of the Adolescent Girl: Vision for 2030.
- The main aim of the day is to highlight and address the needs and challenges girls face while promoting girls’ empowerment and the fulfillment of their human rights.
· Japan launches fourth Michibiki satellite for hi-tech GPS
- The Japan Aerospace Exploration Agency (JAXA) successfully launched Michibiki-4 satellite (QZSS-4) onboard of H-IIA rocket from Tanegashima Space Centre.
- It was the fourth satellite in Michibiki series i.e. Quasi-Zenith Satellite System (QZSS), which is a satellite-based high-precision global positioning system.
- Michibiki-4is third QZSS satellite to be launched in 2017 and once operational it will bring the constellation of QZSS to its operating capacity of four until a planned expansion to 8 satellites occurs around 2023.
- Madhu Valli from USA crowned Miss India Worldwide
- Madhu Valli, an emerging hip hop artist and a student of criminal law at George Mason University in Virginia, has been crowned as Miss India Worldwide 2017.
- Stephanie Madavane from France was declared runner up at the 26th edition of the beauty pageant held in New Jersey.
- The beauty pageant attracts people of Indian origin from across the world.
- Sarita Pattnaik from Texas was declared Mrs India Worldwide.
- Organised by New York-based India Festival Committee, Miss India Worldwide is the only international Indian pageant with affiliates in over 35 countries and considered among the top ethnic pageants in the world.
- IMF cuts India’s 2017 growth forecast
- The International Monetary Fund (IMF) pared its growth forecast for India by half a percentage point to 6.7% for 2017.
- In its latest World Economic Outlook, IMF said the world economy is going through a cyclical upswing that began midway through 2016.
- It raised the global growth estimate marginally for 2017 to 3.6% while flagging downside risks.
· ICICI Bank Aid to Armed Forces
- ICICI Bankthe country’s largest private sector bank by consolidated assets, committed financial assistance of 10 crores to the Indian Armed Forces.
- This contribution by ICICI Bank would be made in two equal tranches. This fund will be used for two programs.
- The first will support post-graduation education of the widows of the soldiers and education for their wards.
- The second program will provide financial assistance for marriages of the daughters of ex-servicemen.
· Union Government approved Rs 2,000 crore to set up Aadhaar units in Post offices
- The Central Government approved Rs 2,000 crore for setting up Aadhaar centers in post offices.
- The centers will have machines approved by the Unique Identification Authority of India (UIDAI) and trained personnel who will be responsible for the operations.
- By March 81, 2018, Government will set up Aadhaar enrolment and update facilities in around 15,000 post offices.
- Kempegowda Airport will be India’s first Aadhaar-enabled airport
- Bengaluru’s Kempegowda International Airport (KIA) is all set to be become country’s first Aadhaar-enabled airport by 2018.
- After a two-month pilot project in February, Bangalore International Airport Limited (BIAL) has decided to make KIA fully compliant with Aadhaaar-enabled entry and biometric boarding system.