- Jharkhand among 10 worst states in infant mortality list: Survey
- Almost 3% of infants in Jharkhand die within a year of their birth, a recent study has showed. The sample registration survey (SRS) for 2016, conducted by the Centre and released last month, said Jharkhand’s infant mortality rate (IMR) was 29 per 1,000 live births last year. The annual survey, covering 30 states and six union territories, put Jharkhand at 10th among 21 bigger states in terms of IMR.
- Published on the Union ministry of health and family welfare’s website, the survey findings showed that the IMR in rural Jharkhand was higher, with more than 31 deaths per 1,000 live births. IMR in Madhya Pradesh was highest, with 47 deaths per 1,000 live births.
- The state ministry of health, medical education and family welfare said Jharkhand’s IMR had dropped from that of 2015, when IMR was 35 deaths per 1,000 live births. In 2014, the state’s IMR was at 37.
· German Chancellor Angela Merkel has topped Forbes 100 Most Powerful Women list
- German Chancellor Angela Merkel has topped Forbes’ 100 Most Powerful Women list for the 7th consecutive year and for the 12th time in total.
- UK PM Theresa Maywas ranked second on the list.
- Bill & Melinda Gates Foundation Co-Chair Melinda Gatesat the third position.
- Forbes names Chanda Kochhar the most powerful woman in India
- CEO of ICICI Bank Chanda Kochhar was named the most powerful woman in India as she ranked 32nd in World’s 100 Most Powerful Women list by Forbes.
- CEO of HCL Enterprise Roshni Nadar Malhotra, Chairperson of Biocon Kiran Mazumdar-Shaw, Chairperson of Hindustan Times Group Shobhana Bhartia and actress Priyanka Chopra are the other Indian women who featured on the list.
- India slips 21 slots on WEF Gender Gap index 2017
- India slipped 21 places on the World Economic Forum’s (WEF) Global Gender Gap index to 108, behind neighbours China and Bangladesh, primarily due to less participation of women in the economy and low wages.
- At the top of the Global Gender Gap Index is Iceland.
- The country has closed nearly 88% of its gap. It has been the world’s most gender-equal country for nine years.
- Indo – Kazakhstan Joint Exercise “PRABAL DOSTYK 2017” Begins
- A fourteen day joint training exercise “PRABAL DOSTYK – 2017” between the Indian Army and the Kazakhstan Army commenced with the Opening Ceremony at Bakloh, Himachal Pradesh.
- The joint exercise is aimed at enhancing the military ties between the two countries as also at achieving interoperability between the two armies.
- The training contingents comprise of platoon strength from the 11th Gorkha Rifles of the Indian Army and a similar strength of the Kazakhstan Army.
· Worlds highest motorable road constructed in Ladakh at a height of over 19,300 feet
- The road was constructed by the Border Roads Organisation (BRO) under Project Himank, in Ladakh region of Jammu and Kashmir, passing through Umlingla Top at a height of over 19,300 feet.
- The Project Himank has already constructed roads like Khardangu La at an altitude of 17,900 ft and Changla Pass at 17,695 ft in Leh by connecting Nobra valley and Durbuk valley in the cold desert.
· FASTag to be compulsory for all new Four wheelers from Dec 1
- The government made installation of FASTag, a rechargeable card that uses passive radio frequency identification (RFID ) technology to debit toll charges automatically, mandatory for all four-wheel automobiles sold from December 1.
- For existing vehicles, drivers can buy the tag from designated banks and toll booths and fix them on the windscreen.
- The ministry notified the changes to relevant sections of the Central Motor Vehicles Rules, 1989.
- The move is part of the government’s much-hyped electronic toll collection (ETC) system.
· Sikkim to get its first airport this month
- Sikkim is set to get its first airport by the end of November, over 30 kilometres from the state capital of Gangtok.
- The airport, built at an estimated cost of Rs. 300 crore, was supposed to be completed in 2012 but faced repeated delays.
- It is at an altitude of 4,700 feet, and will be among the five highest Indian airports.
- Up until now, people travelling to and from Sikkim had to trek to Bagdogra in West Bengal to access the nearest airport.
· Goa ranks top, Bihar at bottom of Gender Vulnerability Index
- Goa ranked top and Bihar featured at the lowest in Gender Vulnerability Index (GVI) released by Child development NGO Plan India.
- The composite index has been developed within research for the NGO’s Plan for Every Child campaign and launched by Women and child development Ministry.
- Goa has been ranked as safest place for women while Delhi is also ranked very low.
· Aadhaar, Mobile SIM linking should be done by Feb 6, 2018
- The Aadhaar-Mobile SIM linking should be completed by February 6, under e-KYC verification, the Centre told the Supreme Court.
- The Centre also mandated production of 12-digit unique Aadhaar number for opening new bank accounts.
- The government has introduced three new methods, including through one-time password (OTP), to ease the process of linking the Aadhaar identity number with individual mobile numbers.
· Royal Opera House at Mumbai gets UNESCO heritage award
- The restored Royal Opera House, located at Mumbai’s Charni Road, has received the Award of Merit from the 2017 UNESCO Asia-Pacific Awards for Cultural Heritage Conservation.
- In 2017 UNESCO Asia-Pacific Awards for Cultural Heritage Conservation, four restored city landmarks were among the 16 winners from six countries – Australia, China, India, Iran, New Zealand and Singapore.
- Meanwhile, amongst this, all Mumbai bagged the maximum number of UNESCO Heritage Awards for – Christ Church and Royal Opera House (Award of Merit), Bomonjee Hormarjee Wadia Fountain and Clock Tower and Wellington Fountain (Honourable Mention).
- Ahead, Delhi bagged for Haveli Dharampura in Shahjahanabad.
- The other two winners from India were the Sri Ranganathaswamy Temple in Srirangam, Tamil Nadu, and the Gateways of Gohad Fort near Gwalior, Madhya Pradesh.
- JPSC Mains Tests and Notes Program
- JPSC Prelims Exam 2018- Test Series and Notes Program
- JPSC Prelims and Mains Tests Series and Notes Program
- JPSC Detailed Complete Prelims Notes