- Jharkhand seeks Rs 4,000 crore Central assistance for new capital
- Jharkhand government has demanded Central assistance of Rs 4,000 crore for setting up a new capital city. The plan is stuck on the drawing board since creation of the state in November 15, 2000.
- Urban development minister CP Singh placed this demand along with six others during a pre-budget conference chaired by Union finance minister Arun Jaitely in New Delhi.
- After Jharkhand’s creation, Ranchi witnessed a sudden surge in its population. However, facilities like housing, roads and other infrastructure could not be developed due to shortage of space.
- The then Union home minister, LK Advani, had laid the foundation for the new capital in 2002 but work could not begin. Jharkhand was created along with Chhattisgarh and Uttarakhand. Chhattisgarh got its new capital city, Naya Raipur, in 2012.
- The Union budget for 2018-19 will be presented on February 1, while Jharkhand government will table its annual budget in the state assembly on January 23.
- Chief minister Raghubar Das has already said that the 2018-19 budget would be for new Jharkhand, which would aim to eradicate poverty and unemployment from the state.
- The state budget for 2018-19 will give impetus to development of farm sector and rural economy. Besides, special package may also be announced for most backward districts of the state Pakur, Sahebganj, Chaibasa, Gumla, Simdega and Khunti.
- India to overtake China as fastest growing large economy in 2018: Report
- India will overtake China to be the fastest growing large economy in 2018 and the country’s equity market will become the fifth largest in the world, says a report.
- According to a Sanctum Wealth Management report, when the rest of the world offers low growth and insufficient structural change, India, by contrast, is seen as a reforming economy with the prospect of strong long-term growth.
- At a time when developed economies are cheering 2-3 per cent growth, India is focused on breaching 7.5 per cent, it said.
- Technology giant Apple topped Fortune magazine’s list of the ‘World’s Most Admired Companies’for 2018.
- E-commerce giant Amazon has retained its second spot, followed by Google’s parent Alphabet.
- Social media giant Facebook lost its place in the top ten most admired companies this year and was ranked 12th on the list.
- Swachh Bharat Mission-Urban Launches Smart Star-Rating
- Shri Hardeep Singh Puri, Minister of State (I/C) for Housing and Urban Affairs along with the Chief Minister of Goa, Shri Manohar Parrikar launched the ‘Protocol for Star Rating of Garbage-Free Cities’ in Goa.
- The star-rating initiative, developed by the Swachh Bharat Mission – Urban will be rating cities on a 7-star rating system based on multiple cleanliness indicators.
- Cities can be rated as 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 and 7 star based on their compliance with the protocol conditions specified for each of the rating.
- Further city should be ODF(Open Defecation Free) before it could be given rating of 3 star or above.
- While cities may self-declare themselves as 1-star, 2-star or 4-star, MoHUA will carry out an additional verification through an independent third party to certify cities as 3-star, 5-star or 7-star.
- Cities will need to get recertified themselves every year to retain their star-status.
- Centre to declare 2018 as National year of millets
- Nutrient-rich millets have got a boost with the Union government deciding to declare 2018 as the ‘national year of millets’.
- This decision has been taken following a request by Karnataka, which is the country’s leader in the millet sector.
- At the inauguration of the three-day international trade fair of organics and millets, Union Statistics and Programme Implementation Minister D.V. Sadananda Gowda said the Union Agriculture Ministry had already completed the formalities in this regard.
- Pradhan Mantri Surakshit Matritva Abhiyan (PMSMA) Crosses One Crore Mark
- Shri J P Nadda, Union Minister of Health and Family Welfare expressed heartfelt gratitude to the Hon’ble Prime Minister Shri Narendra Modi for his un-daunting support to the Pradhan Mantri Surakshit Matritva Abhiyan (PMSMA), as the programme crossed one crore mark in antenatal check-ups.
- The Union Health Minister stated that Hon’ble Prime Minister of India had envisioned that 9th of every month, symbolizing the 9 months of pregnancy, should be dedicated to pregnant women.
- The PMSMA programme was launched in 2016 to fulfil his vision and ensure comprehensive and quality antenatal checkups to pregnant women across India.
· India’s 1st Garbage Festival Organised in Chhattisgarh
- The Raipur Municipal Corporation in Chhattisgarh organized the three-day ‘Kachra Mahotsav 2018′.
- It is India’s first Garbage Festival.
- The festival aimed to increase awareness, use the waste generated in the city creatively, and to showcase multiple techniques for reusing things that are labeled as garbage.
· Sushma Swaraj Inaugurates Puducherrys 1st POPSK at Karaikal
- The first Post Office Passport Seva Kendra(POPSK) of Puducherry was inaugurated by Smt. Sushma Swaraj, Minister for External Affairs at Karaikal.
- The POPSK at Karaikal is the 60th POPSK to have become functional since the launch of the scheme in January 2017.
- It is the first POPSK to become operational in the UT of Puducherry.
· Arun Jaitley Launches National CSR Data Portal & Corporate Data Portal
- The Union Minister for Finance and Corporate Affairs, Arun Jaitley launched the National CSR Data Portal & Corporate Data Portalin Delhi.
- This initiative is a significant step towards driving accountability and transparency for corporate India.
- The portals’ easy accessibility to the general public will ensure a high level of compliance and will also help in institutionalizing and consolidate the CSR activities.
- The launch of the portals will bring 100 percent transparency in corporate governance by making public over 4-crore filings of nearly 1.2 million companies.
· Om Prakash Rawat appointed as New Chief Election Commissioner
- Election Commissioner Om Prakash Rawat was appointed as the next Chief Election Commissioner (CEC)of India.
- Rawat is the 22nd CEC of India.
- He succeeded Achal Kumar Joti.
- The government also appointed former finance secretary Ashok Lawasa as an Election Commissioner.
- Mr Rawat will take over the office from 23rd January 2018 onwards. Sunil Arora is the other Election Commissioner.
· India Defeats Pakistan to Win Blind Cricket World Cup 2018
- India beat Pakistan by two wickets to win the Blind Cricket World Cup 2018 for the second time after a thrilling match at Sharjah Cricket Stadium, the UAE.
- Hosts Pakistan had set India a target of 308 runs at a loss of eight wickets in their allotted 40 overs after they were put into bat.
- India conquered the modest target in the 39th over, with two balls to spare and eight wickets lost. For his brilliant all-around performance, Sunil Ramesh was declared the man of the match.
- JPSC Mains Tests and Notes Program
- JPSC Prelims Exam 2018- Test Series and Notes Program
- JPSC Prelims and Mains Tests Series and Notes Program
- JPSC Detailed Complete Prelims Notes