- Jharkhand will soon be free of poverty, says Raghubar Das
- Chief minister Raghubar Das said Jharkhand will eradicate poverty soon, largely owing to government-sponsored poverty alleviation and developmental schemes.
- UN Development Programme report of 2019 has ranked Jharkhand first among states in India in fighting poverty, the CM said the report has come as an encouragement for the government. Das said 14th Finance Commission funds are being adequately used for developing villages.
- The CM also announced that a centralised kitchen will be set up in all districts for anganwadi centres at an expenditure of Rs 500 crore for preparing nutritional food.
- He said the kitchens will run under Jharkhand State Livelihood Promotion Society scheme and self-help groups will prepare the food.
· N Korea rejects S Koreas pledge to unify the countries
- North Korea’s leader Kim Jong-un refused the pledge of the South Korean President Moon Jae-in’s to unify the North and South Korea by 2045.North Korea leader Kim Jong-un cited the reason for the loss of dialogue momentum was entirely the responsibility of South Korea.
- North Korea also launched at least two short-range projectilesinto the sea on 16 August. The country has protested against joint S.-South Korea military drills. North Korea’s actions have called the countries for war. It has also fired several short-range missiles since July. North Korea’s new weapon has been seen as an attempt to pressure Washington and Seoul over slow nuclear negotiations and their joint military exercises.
- World Humanitarian Day: 19 August
- World Humanitarian Day is an international day observed every year on 19 August.
- The day aims to recognize humanitarian personnel and those who have lost their lives working for humanitarian causes.
- This year’s focus salutes the efforts of women humanitarian workers across the world who rally to people in need and are often the first to respond and the last to leave.
- The world humanitarian day 2019 theme is ‘Women Humanitarians’.
· Centre plans to make India free of single use plastics
- The Union Minister Prakash Javadekar announced amassive public campaign to make India free of single use plastics at the function ordered by the Indian Consulate in Sao Paulo, Brazil. The Ministry conducted a series of meet with all the stakeholders including state governments gathering to eliminate the use of single-use plastic. It also suggested shopkeepers to provide eco-friendly bags to their customers.
- Narendra Modi-led government has urged the people to usejute and cloth bags to protect the environment. About 20,000 tonnes of plastic waste is generated every day in the country and out of which only 13,000-14000 tonnes are collected.
- The government also urged the shopkeepers to stop selling the plastic bags and used to sell jute and cloth bags. It also directed the Customers should adopt ways to reduce plastic usage in use to abolish plastic usage.
· Income Tax Department to adopt ‘taxpayer friendly’ approach
- The Income Tax (I-T) Departmentdecided to adopt friendly approach in its dealings with the tax assessees following Finance Minister Nirmala Sitharaman’s call for a mindset change among tax officials.The I-T Department to bridge the communcationgap between tax officials and the assessees and sought a change in mindset amid allegations of “tax terrorism”.
- The issues are concerned and solve issues by treating them respectfully
The I-T department is set tochange its approach and adopt friendly language but not at the cost of forgoing any lapses.
- The department will use friendly language in its communications with taxpayers rather than intimidating, according to a source, amid allegations of intrusive, threatening and arbitrary behaviour by the department.
- The data mining and data analytics, the Central Board of Direct Taxes (CBDT)is now working on ways to ensure the department makes information such as large-cash deposits or high-value transactions” available to taxpayers well in time for filing of tax returns.
- On the lines of reminders for filing returns, messages could be sentto indicate transactions while stating that they are ignored if already responded to or accounted .The Central Board of Direct Taxes (CBDT) introduce a computer-generated Document Identification Number (DIN), which will be quoted in any notice issued by its officials.
- National tribal festival ‘Aadi Mahotsav’ begins in Leh-Ladakh
- Aadi Mahotsav, the national tribal festival, started at Polo Ground in Leh-Ladakh.
- The nine-day event was inaugurated by the Jammu and Kashmir Governor, Satya Pal Malik.
- The theme of the festival is – A celebration of the spirit of Tribal Craft, Culture and Commerce.
- Around 160 Tribal artisans from more than 20 states across the country will actively participate and showcase their masterpieces in this event.
- Four New Products get GI Tag
- The Geographical Indication (GI) under the Department for Promotion of Industry and Internal Trade has recently registered 4 new GIs.
- Palani Panchamirtham from Palani Town in Dindigul District of Tamil Nadu State.
- Tawlhlohpuan and Mizo Puanchei from the state of Mizoram.
- Tirur Betel leaf from Kerala are the latest additions to the list of registered GIs.
- GI is an indication used on products that have a specific geographical origin and possess qualities or a reputation that are due to that origin.
· Bajrang Punia to get Rajiv Gandhi Khel Ratna Award 2019
- Bajrang Punia awarded Rajiv Gandhi Khel Ratna Award 2019. It is the highest country award in India. Bajrang Punia is set to be awarded the Rajiv Gandhi Khel Ratna Award 2019.The country’s highest sporting honour.
- Punia will be rewarded with the award for his consistent showing in the field of wrestling. His contribution in bringing laurels to the country. Punia along with Vinesh Phogat was recommended by the Wrestling Federation of India (WFI) for the prestigious award.
- The first recipient of the award was Chess Grandmaster Viswanathan Anand who was honored for his performance in the year 1991-92.
- JPSC Mains Tests and Notes Program
- JPSC Prelims Exam 2018- Test Series and Notes Program
- JPSC Prelims and Mains Tests Series and Notes Program
- JPSC Detailed Complete Prelims Notes