- Rotavirus vaccine launch in jharkhand on april 7
- On the occasion of World Health Day observed annually on April 7, the Rotavirus vaccine will be formally launched at Rajendra Institute of Medical Sciences (RIMS) by Chief Minister Raghubar Das. Jharkhand is the 10th State in India to introduce Rotavirus vaccine. Also, if officials are to be believed then Jharkhand is the first State to start the concept of Oral Pentavalent Vaccine.
- UIP provides vaccination against ten vaccine preventable childhood diseases. The Rotavirus vaccine will be available for free of cost at all government medical colleges and hospitals.”
- Explaining about Rotavirus vaccine dosage and schedule, experts from UNICEF said that 2.5 ml of the vaccine will be administered orally with an oral syringe. Three doses of rotavirus will be administered to the child at 1.5 months, 2.5 months and 3.5 months of age along with the other scheduled vaccines.
- Experts opined that the efficacy of Rotavirus vaccines against severe diarrhoea in India ranges from 40 to 60 percent. Furthermore, experts cited that the Rotavirus vaccine was introduced in the UIP to protect children against diarrhoea caused by Rotavirus and are one of most cost effective measures.
- Rotavirus vaccine has been successfully introduced in nine states – Andhra Pradesh, Odisha, Assam, Rajasthan, Madhya Pradesh, Haryana, Tamil Nadu, Tripura and Himachal Pradesh. According to the reports, Rotavirus diarrhoea is singularly responsible for up to 40 percent of all moderate to severe diarrhoea cases in India.
- Indo-Kyrgyzstan joint training exercise KHANJAR-V concludes
- The fifth Indo-Kyrgyzstan Joint Training Exercise KHANJAR-V culminated on 29 March, after a joint tactical validation exercise and a closing ceremony held at Counter Insurgency Jungle Warfare School.
- Two week of joint training that commenced on 16 March included understanding tactics of platoon level, developing inter operability and sharing of best practices.
- The 21st edition of the Commonwealth Gameswill begin in Gold Coast, Australia, with a colorful opening ceremony.
- This will be a momentous day for the city as the biggest event in its history begins.
- Carrara Stadium has been chosen as the venue to host the opening ceremony.
- These Games will mark the 5th time that Australia has hosted the games. India will be represented at the opening ceremony by a contingent of over 200 athletes who will be led by flag-bearer P V Sindhu.
· India Ranks 37th in Global Startup Ecosystem: Startupblink Report
- According to report released by global startup ecosystem map Startup link,India was ranked 37th out of 125 countries in global startup ecosystem in 2017.
- Startup link is a global startup ecosystem map with tens of thousands of registered startups, coworking spaces, and accelerators.
- The list, measuring startup ecosystem strength and activity, was topped by the United States followed by the United Kingdom.
· Suresh Prabhu Launches Digital Initiative for Ease Of Export
- Union Commerce and Industry and Civil Aviation Minister, Suresh Prabhu launched digital initiatives by Export Inspection Council (EIC) for ease of export at New Delhi.
- EIC is the official export certification body of Government of India and has launched this flagship project of Digital India Initiative to keep pace with changing dynamics of the world.
- In order to continue the vision for credible inspection and certification, three portals have been developed to reduce transaction time and cost in a transparent manner.
- The portals will play an important role in the Go Green initiative by reducing paper usage and saving millions of trees.
· Biometric failure is not related to age – UIDAI
- The Unique Identification Authority of India (UIDAI) claimed there is no “conclusive evidence” to say that biometric authentication success is dependent upon age. “Slightly higher authentication failure rates have been observed only for fingerprints for senior citizens above the age of 70.
- Authentication failures do not mean exclusion or denial of subsidies, benefits or services since the requesting entities are obliged under the law to provide for exception-handling mechani- sms.
- The authority said that out of 108,50,391 iris scans, 9,27,132 unique UIDs failed, that is, 8.54% of the total. Out of 6163,63,346 fingerprint scans, 369,62,619 failed. That is, 6% of the total.
· UIDAI unveils Virtual ID in beta form; service providers to use new feature soon
- The Unique Identification Authority of India (UIDAI) has unveiled the beta version of the much-awaited ‘Virtual ID’, and promised that service providers will “soon” start accepting the same in lieu of Aadhaar number.
- In the beta form, users can generate their Virtual ID (VID) and use it to update address in Aadhaar online for the time being, according to UIDAI, which announced the VID concept earlier this year to address privacy concerns.
- Put simply, the new feature will allow Aadhaar holders to quote their VID number without actually disclosing the 12-digit Aadhaar number for authentication or verification purposes.
- The VID, which is a random 16-digit number mapped to a person’s Aadhaar number, together with biometrics of the user would give any authorised agency like a mobile company, limited details such as name, address and photograph, which are enough for any verification. The VID effectively gives the users the option of not sharing Aadhaar number at the time of authentication.
- The UIDAI had stated that it will be compulsory for all agencies that undertake authentication to accept the VID from their users from June 1, 2018.
· Supreme Court stands by its SC/ST Act judgment
- With a view to prevent the misuse of provisions of Scheduled Castes and the Scheduled Tribes (Prevention of Atrocities) Act 1989 (SC/ST Act), the Supreme Court held that there is no absolute bar for granting anticipatory bail in a matter under the Act.
- The Supreme Court said its March 20 judgment, banning immediate arrest of a person accused of insulting or injuring a Scheduled Caste/Scheduled Tribe member, is meant to protect innocents from arbitrary arrest and not an affront to Dalit rights.
- The Apex Court also added that a public servant can be arrested after grant of approval by some senior officer.
- The bench comprising of Justices Adarsh Kumar Goel and Uday Umesh Lalit further noted that to avoid false implication of an innocent, preliminary enquiry will be done by the DSP to find out whether the allegations make out a case under the Atrocities Act and that the allegations are not frivolous.
- The top court further observed that the Government official cannot be prosecuted on mere allegation of committing an offence under the Act without the sanction of appointing authority.
JPSC Notes brings Prelims and Mains programs for JPSC Prelims and JPSC Mains Exam preparation. Various Programs initiated by JPSC Notes are as follows:-
- JPSC Mains Tests and Notes Program
- JPSC Prelims Exam 2020- Test Series and Notes Program
- JPSC Prelims and Mains Tests Series and Notes Program
- JPSC Detailed Complete Prelims Notes