The main objective of this authority is to complement and strengthen the national effort in conservation of the rich biodiversity of the country, particularly the fauna as per the national zoo policy,1998.
The functions of Central zoo authority are as follows:
- Specify the minimum standards for housing, upkeep and veterinary care of the animal kept in zoos.
- To recognise or derecognise zoos.
- Evaluate and assess the functioning of zoos.
- To coordinate the acquisition, exchange and loaning of animals for breeding purpose.
- To ensure maintenance of studbooks endangered species of wild animals bred in captivity.
- To control training of zoo personnel.