Issues attached with scientific research in India are as follows:
- The system is also largely run by scientists-turned-bureaucrats and “nepotism, patronage culture” are prevalent.
- Notably, Indian scientists perceive success as ‘becoming an administrative head in research institutions’, rather than advancing research.
- Also, the prevalent incompetence across the spectrum has taken a toll on ‘peer reviewing’ where incompetent scientists get to reinforce their mediocrity.
- There is a culture of elitism in our labs, were the manual work is done by lab assistants and scientists mostly just command orders.
- Also, rather than contributing to social debates, Indian scientists shun public commentary, unless it is to serve as government spokespersons.
- This has led to a situation where prominent politicians pass off popular myths as science, without attracting a backlash from the scientific fraternity.