e-Cigarettes are battery powered devices that work by heating a liquid into an aerosol that the user inhales and exhales. The e-cigarette liquid typically contains nicotine, propylene glycol, glycerin, flavorings, and other chemicals.
Why Blanket ban:
- e-Cigarettes usually contain nicotine which makes product addictive.
- e-Cigarettes cause health hazards for youth, young adults, and pregnant women.
- A number of metals, including lead, chromium, and nickel, and chemicals like formaldehyde have been found in aerosols of some ENDS, with concentrations equal to or greater than traditional cigarettes. These metals also work as ‘tumor promoters’.
- Lack of knowledge about the negative effects of nicotine and easy accessibility of these products make the youth prone to addiction.
- These products are not registered as nicotine replacement therapy products in India.