The privileges belonging to each House of the state legislature collectively are:
- It has the right to publish its reports, debates and proceedings and also the right to prohibit others from publishing the same
- It can exclude strangers from its proceedings and hold secret sittings to discuss some important matters.
- It can make rules to regulate its own procedure and the conduct of its business and to adjudicate upon such matters.
- It can punish members as well as outsiders for breach of its privileges or its contempt by reprimand, admonition or imprison-ment (also suspension or expulsion, in case of members).
- It has the right to receive immediate in-formation of the arrest, detention, conviction, imprisonment and release of a member.
- It can institute inquiries and order the attendence of witnesses and send for relevant papers and records.
- The courts are prohibited to inquire into the proceedings of a House or its Committes.
- No person (either a member or outsider) can be arrested, and no legal process (civil or criminal) can be served within the precincts of the House without the permission of the presiding officer.
The privileges belonging to the members individually are:
- They cannot be arrested during the session of the state legislature and 40 days before the beginning and 40 days after the end of such session. This privilege is available only in civil cases and not in criminal cases or preventive detention cases.
- They have freedom of speech in the state legislature. No member is liable to any proceedings in any court for anything said or any vote given by him in the state legis-lature or its committees. This freedom is subject to the provisions of the Constitution and to the rules and standing orders regulating the procedure of the state legislature.
- They are exempted from jury service. They can refuse to give evidence and appear as a witness in a case pending in a court when the state legislature is in session.
- JPSC Mains Tests and Notes Program
- JPSC Prelims Exam 2020- Test Series and Notes Program
- JPSC Prelims and Mains Tests Series and Notes Program
- JPSC Detailed Complete Prelims Notes