Reformation and counter reformation had long lasting impact on the socio-political- economic mileu. It also is a start of the beginning of modern age. The major effects of reformation and Counter reformation are as follows:
- The religious division of Europe into a number of hostile camps was one of the effect of reformation. This resulted in religious conflicts and wars in Europe in the name of religious ideology.
- The rise of the Protestant ethic and ideology led to entreprenurship, which naturally resulted in the growth of capitalism.
- Reformation had played vital role in the rise of nationalism in Europe. The rise of absolute monarchy in Europe had its foundation in the Reformation.
- The establishment of schools and seminaries and the spread of education were the lasting impact of Reformation. This stimulated people to re-examine and question age old ideas , beliefs and institutions.
- But, like all religions, Reformation made hurdles in the growth of science and art. More than emphasising the spirit of reason and rationality, they still insisted on faith, which became a hurdle to science.