The political Associations and activities in pre-Congress period in India and abroad regarding the Indian freedom struggle made it mandatory to form an All-India Association that would lead the country against the foreign rulers. Example Zamindari Association, The Indian Association of Calcutta, The Bombay Presidency Association
The Indian Association of Calcutta
- Surendranath Banerjee and Anand Mohan Bose founded the Indian Association of Calcutta in 1876.
- Founders of Indian Association of Calcutta were discontented with the pro-landlord and conservative policies of the British India Association that’s why they established this new Association.
- This association was aimed to unify Indian people on a common political programme and create a strong public opinion on political questions.
- East India association also organized an all India agitation known as the Civil Service Agitation after its formation.
The Bombay Presidency Association
- Pherozeshah Mehta, K.T. Telang, Badruddin Tyabji and others formed the Bombay Presidency Association in 1885.
- The reactionary policies of Lytton and the Ilbert Bill controversy caused political commotion in Bombay and led to the formation of Bombay Presidency Association.