Congress ministries were formed in Bombay, madras, Central provinces, Orissa, United Provinces, Bihar and later in NWPF and Assam also. Even-though ministries had limited power congress ministries left no stone unturned to wards the social well being of the country.
The work under civil liberties:
- Laws giving emergency powers were repealed.
- Ban on illegal organisations, such as the Hindustan Seva dal and Youth leagues, and on certain books and journals was lifted.
- Press restrictions were lifted.
- News papers were taken out of the black lists.
- Confiscated arms and arms licences were restored.
- Police powers were curbed and CID stopped shadowing politicians.
- Political prisoners and revolutionaries were released, and deportation and internment orders were revoked.
- In Bombay lands confiscated during the Civil disobedience movement were restored.
- Pensions of officials associated with civil disobedience movement were restored.