Pre-disaster preventive measures
- Re-framing buildings’ codes, guidelines, manuals and byelaws and their strict implementation .Tougher legislation for highly seismic areas.
- Incorporating earthquake resistant features in all buildings in high-risk areas.
- Making all public utilities like water supply systems, communication networks, electricity lines, earthquake-proof.
- Creating alternative arrangements to reduce damages to infrastructure facilities.
- Constructing earthquake-resistant community buildings and buildings (used to gather large groups during or after an earthquake) like schools, hospitals, prayer halls, etc., especially in seismic zones of moderate to higher intensities.
- Supporting R&D in various aspects of disaster mitigation, preparedness and prevention and postdisaster management.
Post-disaster preventive measures
- Maintenance of law and order, prevention of trespassing, looting etc.
- Evacuation of people.
- Recovery of dead bodies and their disposal.
- Medical care for the injured.
- Supply of food and drinking water.
- Temporary shelters like tents, metal sheds etc.
- Repairing lines of communication and information.
- Restoring transport routes.
- Quick assessment of destruction and demarcation of destroyed areas, according to the grade of damage