- The food processing sector comprises of three segments based on the levels of processing
Primary processing of food
- Primary processing of food comprises of sorting, grading and packaging of fruits and vegetables, milk, rice, spices, etc.
Secondary Processing of Food
- Secondary processing of food comprises of re-shaping of food for ease of consumption. It includes flour, oil cakes, tea leaf and beverages powder etc.
- Together with primary processing, the two segments constitute around 62% of the processed foods in value terms.
Tertiary Processing of Food (or) Value Added Food Segment
- Value added food segment includes processed fruits and vegetables, juices, jam & jelly etc and holds around 38 % share in the total processed food market.
- MOFPI indicates the following segments within the food processing industry on the basis of the raw material used:
- Fruits& Vegetables –Beverages, Juices, Concentrates, Pulps, Slices, Frozen & Dehydrated products, Wine, Potato wafers/Chips etc.
- Fisheries -Frozen & Canned products mainly in fresh form
- Meat & Poultry -Frozen and packed food mainly in fresh form, Egg powder
- Milk & Dairy -Whole milk powder, Skimmed milk powder, Condensed milk, Ice cream, Butter and Ghee
- Grain and Cereals-Flour, Bakeries, Biscuits, Starch, Glucose, Cornflakes, Malted foods, Vermicelli, Pasta foods, Beer and Malt extracts, Grain based alcohol
- Consumer Foods– Chocolates, Confectionery, Soft/Aerated beverages